Thread: Grilled pizza

Grilled pizza

We are traveling away from home this summer and staying a camper most of the time so that means lots of outdoor cooking. I am a vegetarian and my husband doesn't eat much meat so we're always looking for different vegetarian recipes for the grill. Last night we made pizza and, wow, was it good. Cooking it on the grill gave it a smokey flavor and the crust was perfectly crispy.

If you're looking for something different this summer I would recommend trying grilled pizza. Of course, you can put meat on it if you want, we just choose not to

How long and what temperature would you cook it on? Did you have to grease the crust at all? How did the toppings cook? I really want to try this but I need some more information. Thanks for an awesome idea.

Grilled pizza sounds great! I want to try it, too, but I need to know how you keep the crust from overcooking or burning. I'm wondering how the toppings cook, too, since there's no heat coming from the top.

Please give us more details! I want to give it a try too. My whole family loves pizza and this sounds like a pretty neat way to make it. Can you please share more, Like how long do you cook it and yes the whole toppigs issue.

I did one thursday night. Power was out so I just left it in the pan put it on the grill so it was not directly over the heat and cooked untill the topping was done. Works just fine.

Sorry, guys. I forgot I started this thread

Ok, what we do is get the pre-baked store bought crust (they make them in whole wheat now and they're really good) and I brush the bottom of that with some olive oil and put it on foil. We cook it over charcoal and this seems to work well. The crust crisps just fine even with the foil.

For the toppings, I saute them first. We usually do mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. So, I give them a quick saute just to soften them up because I find that they don't cook properly if you put them on the pizza raw. Or at least, they don't cook the way I want them to, lol.

So, brush the crust (top and bottom), sauce, a little cheese, toppings, more cheese and you're ready for the grill

That sounds really good! I have a gas grill, I wonder if it would work with that. How long do you have to cook it for if you are using the grill? Do you put the lid on when you cook it?

I just asked my husband (the grill chef in our family) if it would work on a gas grill and he said the problem is that it can't be over direct heat. Maybe you could try lighting one side and putting the pizza on the other side. He said what he does is spread the coals out so that the heat is coming up and around the pizza. I hope that makes sense. Try it though and let us knows how it turns out We cook it for about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the heat, and, yes, we put the lid down - it helps the cheese melt.

Webber Grill

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnn View Post
    I just asked my husband (the grill chef in our family) if it would work on a gas grill and he said the problem is that it can't be over direct heat. Maybe you could try lighting one side and putting the pizza on the other side. He said what he does is spread the coals out so that the heat is coming up and around the pizza. I hope that makes sense. Try it though and let us knows how it turns out We cook it for about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the heat, and, yes, we put the lid down - it helps the cheese melt.
    We like to make pizza on the grill. I have a webber gas grill, which is unlike other grills in that the heat is extremely uniform because of the way it is engineered.
    The nice thing about grilling pizza is everyone gets to express themselves and make the pizza they way they like it. I use a pizza dough mix similar to bisquik, get it at the grocery store. We like to chop up a bunch of different vegetables and what ever else you may want and everyone, shapes thier crust and makes thier own pie whatever size or thickness you want, put it on some tin foil with olive oil. Kids love it, some will make several small ones others will make one giant one then everybody tries everybody elses.