Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corporal punishment

Corporal punishment

I am so outraged. The school district I live in has corporal punishment. That's bad enough in this day and age, but for years now they have required the parent's permission to act on it. However, I just found out that they are trying to pass a law so that they don't need a parent's permission. How archaic is that? I'll be darned if some teacher or principle is going to physically punish my daughter and I have no say in the matter. Screw that. I'm homeschooling her.

Home schooling is one solution. Another is to just raise her to obey the rules and she won't have to worry about being punished.

I see what you're saying, Bird, and naturally we plan on raising a respectful, rule abiding child. But my husband and I were raised that way as well and we still managed to get a detention now and then. Even the best kids are going to be kids and they're going to get in trouble. I will not tolerate her coming home from school to tell me that she was physically punished that day. If anyone is going to swat her it will be my husband or myself. Or her Pop Pop or Grammy.

I didn't think any schools had corporal punishment anymore, not that I'm totally against it. I understand your point of view, CarrieAnn. I'm not fond of public schools for other reasons and I support homeschooling, but I believe corporal punishment would be reserved for extreme cases when all else had failed or serious violations of rules. It's not something that school officials would do on a regular basis.

Well, I guess not being fond of our school district is what it really boils down to, Sally. My friends with school age children have had repeated problems with them and I was already considering home schooling for that reason. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back. If it was any other school district I might believe that it would only the severest cases where any physical punishment would occur, but the officials in this district have proven time and time again that they like to abuse their power and they can't be trusted.

In addition, they are morally bankrupt people. As an example, the principle of the elementary school cheated on his wife with one of the teachers while his wife was pregnant. He then got the teacher pregnant and divorced his pregnant wife. Imagine the gossip in the third grade bathroom the day that news broke. That's just one example - I have lots more. And I'm not one to really care what someone does in their private life, but in my opinion teachers are supposed to be people kids can look up to and they should set a better example than that.

Ok, I'm done ranting for now

I think that schools are starting to see that they have no choice, since more and more kids these days are getting little or no discipline at home anymore.

I remember back when I went to school if you went to the office when you got in trouble you got a paddling. I never got in trouble but that was a big deterrant. Maybe if kids thought they would be getting a paddling they would straighten up some.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I remember back when I went to school if you went to the office when you got in trouble you got a paddling. I never got in trouble but that was a big deterrant. Maybe if kids thought they would be getting a paddling they would straighten up some.
    Yeah, and if your parents found out you got a paddling at school, you'd likely get another one at home. But all that's changed now. The parents side with the kids against the teachers, so we now have to have police officers assigned to the schools to keep the little darlings from harming the teachers.

Just another reason we will be homeschooling. I am all for rasing a respectful child but if someone is going to physically punish my child it will be my husband or myself period. Just out of curiosity where do you live Carrianne?

Yeah, and if your parents found out you got a paddling at school, you'd likely get another one at home. But all that's changed now. The parents side with the kids against the teachers, so we now have to have police officers assigned to the schools to keep the little darlings from harming the teachers.
    One of the biggest reasons I didn't get in trouble at school is because of the paddling I'd get at home. Now, they try to say that paddling leads to kids being violent. I think history compared to present day speaks for itself on that one.