Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corporal punishment

I agree outdoors Joe. I knew what would happen to me when I got home if I got in trouble at school and that was definitely the deterrent I needed to just obey and do right. Basically I think the problem we're facing today is because there is very little paddling at home and as a result the schools are a disaster because the kids know they can't do anything either. I would be more apt to put my child in a public school that paddled the kids when they did wrong than in one that didn't. They need to learn to respect authority besides just their parents, too.

Are you kidding me? In this day and age, there is still corporal punishment in school? When a parent can be reported for "disciplining" their child? That's just ridiculous? How do they justify that?

but in my opinion teachers are supposed to be people kids can look up to and they should set a better example than that.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on that! If I had kids, I wouldn't let them near a public school. It's not just the horrible example that some teachers and administrators set. They teach kids all kinds of things that I don't think it's their place to teach them, not the least of which is about having sex. Their answer to kids having sex is to use a condom. My answer to kids having sex is to wait until they're married. Sure, that is based on my religious beliefs, but it's also the healthiest mental and emotional choice. I know from my own personal experience.

Oh my! If anyone laid a hand on my child at school they would be dealing with me and the police. I would NEVER send my kids to a school where they could be touched! That is so 50 years ago. I'm sure I'd be putting my hands on someone if anyone laid a finger on my kids.

The school system that my husband works for is large, 64 schools. In one of the schools he was assigned at first he came home mortified because in one the rooms there was an "isolation room". I asked if they still used it and he looked at me. That very day, they put a child in there and he knew that because the child looked out of the window in the door, just big enough to see his head, while he was working on a computer in the classroom. My husband looked at the teacher and she said, "I know, it looks bad, but I'm pregnant and I can't have him acting up, so I put him there when it looks like he's going to." Before the month was out, they arrested the child---a 2nd grader. This is the top district in our state. We homeschool.

I would NEVER send my kids to a school where they could be touched! That is so 50 years ago.
    I think it's worth considering that 50 years ago, when paddling was acceptable and used by parents and schools, the worst offenses in schools were usually talking too much or chewing gum, with an occasional fight between two students. Now, the worst offenses are much more serious than that, and occasionally, a child will shoot other students and teachers in schools.

While I'm not advocating the overuse of paddling, there must be something to the saying about "a nerve connecting the behind to the brain" and something amiss about the idea that paddling causes kids to become violent.

I've never thought about that, outdoors Joe, but you're right. I can't think of anything really bad that the kids did at school until after paddling was stopped. Now, kids think they can do anything they want to do and teachers are afraid to do anything about it at some schools.

Maybe we can find a way to fight it. I refuse to let my children be paddled after hearing about a young girl getting paddled and the principal hit her in the wrong place and caused her to be paralyzed. I am afraid that I would be doing some punishing of my own if a teacher or anyone laid a finger on my children and the school has already gotten that memo from me.

I am afraid I don't have the patience and with my different illnesses they wouldn't do their school work. I am unable to supervise them and they slack on everything when I am laying down or sick.

I teach. I raised my kids without hitting them. Both of them were black belts in highschool, and polite. I don't ever want to beat, paddle, hit,swat your kids for you. I'll assign detentions, give warnings, and refer the extreme cases to the office for administrative detentions, suspensions, expulsions. I am there to teach. If your kid has a problem, take care of it yourself. If you need help, ask for it. Asfor the schools that use corporal punishment, I'd warn them that the day they did it to my child whould be the day I filed a lawsuit against the school and the district. The possibility of bad PR and a lawsuit will always work better than a shouting match in the office to move things your way.