Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armadillos

Armadillos

I've been living on my current property for two and a half years and I hadn't seen one armadillo...until last night. I went outside to sit in the backyard on a little bench we have and there was an armadillo under it that scared the heck out of me. I didn't know he was there until he came running out and it was the fattest armadillo I have ever seen. He was huge! Lol, I don't know was more startled - him or me.

I understand that armadillos are quite the diggers. Have you noticed any holes or torn up areas in your property? Hopefully this is not a whole family of 'em and he was just passin' through!

It actually has turned out to be a family of them. A few nights after the fat bugger scared the heck out of me I saw what I think is his wife. And then a few days after that I saw some little ones. I haven't noticed anything unusual around the property, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

We saw one in the wild one time when we were driving through the southern part of Argentina. Then another time I was teaching in a Christian school in Corpus Christi and one of the fathers caught an armadillo and brought it in a cage to the class so the children could see it up close. It was very interesting. I had never realized their tails were so thin and long. They almost look like a long rat's tail.

I wouldn't mind having them around if they didn't destroy lawns by digging for grubs or bugs and such. If you want to see someone really get upset with them, you should see what they sometimes do to the greens on golf courses.:laughing: Naturally they're going to dig in the prettiest, best watered spots, so if you never water your lawn, they probably won't bother it.

My opinion of armadillos improved greatly after I saw one dig up and eat an underground yellow jacket nest. The nest was full of tasty yellow jacket larvae and the adult yellow jackets could not hurt the armadillo.

I have yet to see an armadillo! That must have been pretty fascinating! All we have here are the racoons, possums, and squirrels! I have smelled skunks, but never seen one.

I don't see many on my property. Probably cause I don't water my grass or weeds. I found one out back on my property that met with an unfortunate accident and the buzzards were all over him. Scared me when I eased up on them in the Golf Cart. I didn't know they were behind this foilage until they all saw me and took off at the same time. If you have never heard 20 to 30 buzzards taking of at the same time before, let me tell you that it's a nerve shattering experience when you hear this noise of all these powerful wings hitting the air before you realize what the noise was. I thought a helicopter was landing on the top of my cart.

Bird is right though, they do dig a lot and will mess up an otherwise nice lawn. Unfortunately I see more of them squashed on the road than I do in person. As far as I know, they are simply an armored Possum.

Taste better than possum.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltat2 View Post
    Taste better than possum.
    I never ate one but I was always told that they had seven differnt kinds of meat.