Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armadillos

When I was a kid, I wanted to try nearly everything, so mother did barbecue a raccoon once, but said she'd never do it again because she didn't like the smell of it cooking. It actually tasted just fine. She refused to cook turtle, but did allow me to make turtle soup a couple of times. When I dressed out a crow, she refused to let me in the house with it. We used to make blackbird pie (like chicken pot pie but using blackbird breasts instead), so I figured a big black bird ought to be good, too, but never got to find out. Mother cooked squirrels, rabbits, and frog legs, but refused to cook a oppossum. And we never had an opportunity to try armadillo. However, in 1976-81 I had a fellow working for me who brought barbecued raccoon and armadillo to work to share with the rest of us. At least that's what he said it was, and it was delicious.

I never ate one but I was always told that they had seven differnt kinds of meat.
    I've eaten Jack Rabbits from the Mojave desert that have different tastes. But seven, now that's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I've eaten Jack Rabbits from the Mojave desert that have different tastes. But seven, now that's interesting.
    I've eaten many, many southern Oklahoma jack rabbits. Are they different from the Mojave desert jack rabbits? I guess the meat might taste different depending on the rabbits' diet. I never did understand why a lot of people would eat cottontails but didn't want jack rabbits. Young tender jack rabbits were quite tasty fried. The bigger older ones could be too tough to fry (kind of like older chickens) so we used to cook them in the pressure cooker. That makes the meat tender and then it could be used in any recipe in which you would use chicken (rabbit & dumplings, ground up as rabbit salad for sandwiches, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by wiltat2 View Post
    Taste better than possum.
    5% of armadillos carry leprosy. It's not clear exaclty how this threatens humans. Some infections may have occured after eating under cooked meat from this mammal, others speculate that it can be contracted through handeling. Although rare, I suppose it's a good idea to wear gloves and throughly wash your hands after contact.
    I have met people who have consumed these things and I suppose I would if I ever got that hungry, but I have never been hungry enough to consider it.
    Those who eat it refer to it as "Oppossum on the half shell"

Those who eat it refer to it as "Oppossum on the half shell"
    That's a very good description.