Thread: Need A Tractor

Need A Tractor

I need to find a used tractor that will be used to plow and disk about an acre for a large garden. Can anyone recommend a brand and size? I don't want it to be any bigger than what is needed, but I don't want it to struggle to do the job, either.

When it comes to used tractors I would not worry too much about brand but what kind of shape it is in. You can have a 25 year old one that was kept in a barn and not used to hard tht is better than a 2 year old one beat to heck by some contractor. I would guess you would need about a 30hp one to do what you want. If you got to buy the plow and disk that will add to the cost. And of course the big thing is how much you wana pay. Might get a lot more advice if you go over here and ask.

TractorByNet.com | Compact Tractors | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland

Check out the forum www.tractorbynet.com They have lots of threads about buying used tractors.
    hugs, Brandi

We have many Farmall H's here and they work wonderful for everything. The older the better to be honest. If you can fix tractors then it won't matter how old it is or what shape it is in. We also use the 4-wheelers in the garden with a pull behind rake.

Thank you for the link! I'll check out tractorbynet, I've heard good comments about Farmalls. I hope I'll find something soon. We'd like to buy it this fall to have it ready for spring.

Servicable

Make sure what ever decide on that the parts are availble...in this country. Most tractors are made, or made of parts, like the engine, that are made overseas. You will find there are a lot of tractors available for a low price, but you can't get parts should you need them, and sooner or later, you will need them. Better to pay a little more up front and get something that is servicable than find you have something that no one will touch because it will sit in the shop for months waiting for parts. Stay away from "grey market" tractors. If they fail while you own one you are going to have to pay through the nose to get it running again. God forbid something major goes and then you are stuck. before you buy check the availblity of air, oil, and fuel filters, now you'll have some idea of the operating costs
    A ford 9n or 8n is an inexpensive tractor that was produceed in large quantitys many years ago. These are relatively inexpensive and are going up in value like a farmall but a little more plentiful at least in this part of the country. Even if you don't need it ,get a pto, it makes the tractor a lot more versital and more valuable should you go to sell it