Thread: Mobile Home Settling

Mobile Home Settling

We have been in our mobile home for about 2 years now and there is a place in the living room where you can see the seam between the two halves. Someone told me it is because it is settling. What can we do to fix this?

Unfortunately, it is very common to have to have a mobile home re-levelled periodically. The frequency is determined by the soil on which it's placed and cycles of wet/dry that cause the soil to expand and contract. We bought a new double wide in 1997 and in the 5 years we lived in it, I had it re-levelled twice. Then in 2003, we bought a single wide 1997 model that was set up in a mobile home park, and it was obvious that it needed re-levelling when I bought it. The professionals usually use a water level and they have to crawl around under the house jacking it up at different points, adding piers or shims, etc. Prices are always changing, but I would expect it to cost $350 to $500 to have a professional re-level your mobile home. I would strongly recommend that anyone buying a mobile home have it placed on a good reinforced concrete slab to start with. That's expensive, but it ends the cost of re-levelling every 2 to 5 years.