Thread: Parvo

Parvo

My puppy is going to the vet this week to get her first shots and someone told me to make sure she gets a shot for parvo. I've heard of this before, but I don't recall ever having a dog vaccinated for it. Is it standard or do I need to specifically tell the vet that we want this shot? Also, is it necessary?

Parvo is a horrible disease and there are vaccinations for it. There are several factors that can influence the effectiveness of the vaccine, but overall they work most of the time. There are more natural ways to deal with Parvo, but the vaccination is likely to be the most convenient. I think many vets give this shot when they give the distemper, but it would not hurt to ask just to be sure.

I would ask if it is standard and if your dog needs it. I believe you only have to worry about parvo when you have many dogs using the bathroom in a confined area of yard. It is a deadly disease though so it can't hurt to ask.

Well, she got the parvo shot, but the dingbat vet didn't give her anything else. No rabies vaccine, nothing. We had to have a friend take her because neither my husband nor I had time this week so I guess I'll have to take her back next week. Just goes to show...if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

I will agree parvo is a horrible disease that can strike without warning. If you have seen puppies die from parvo, you would not question the need for a vaccination.

I vaccinate my own dogs. Most major vaccine companies make various all-in-one vaccines that covers the major diseases, includind parvo. Rabies vaccine is separate. I feel sure any reputable vet uses one of the all-in-one vaccines from a reputable company.

I receive E-mails and US mail everyday from various vendors selling vaccine. The problem is to choose from among the many options.

Yep, I can remember when dogs only got a rabies vaccination, but not anymore. This year the bill for one little dog came to over $300, including the 12 (one a month) pills to prevent heart worms.

I had two puppies we bought recently and they hadn't had shots yet. One of them got really sick and the vet said it was parvo or some other virus. She told me that there was no parasites present in either of them. She did an iv of fluid and sent them home with meds. They both wound up with it but the one who was sick first didn't survive. The day after the drip he couldn't even hold his on head up. The other puppy is doing great now and is something else. My girls have spoiled him.

I had also the puppy But he died I loved him very much he is white in color.I do not know the reason of his death. Suddenly he died.

You definitely want Parvo and the basics. It used to be DHLP I think and now it's DALP. They've taken one out of the mix, so my initials might be off. If you kennel your dogs, you need that one as well.