Thread: Kids safe?

Kids safe?

Are our kids safe when they go to school? I swear I hear more and more about bullying and bad behavior on the buses each day. Heck this is even before the kids get to school.
    How can we make our schools more safe?

I think the best way to confront kids bullying other kids at school is for parents to confront the issue with each other head on. It's a personal issue and should be handled personally.

Parents dealing with each other? I don't think that works. If I went to a parent that was being mean to my son, my son would be razzed more. We have to step in but only when it's necessary. Our kids have to learn how to deal with mean kids.
    Our schools need to be safer, and it all starts with teachers and adults in the school.

I agree with you Dantheman. It does start with teachers and other adults in the school. It also needs to start in the lower grades, before kids get so big that they don't pay any attention to their teachers. They need to be taught that name calling, picking on others and bullying are not tolerated.

It is scary to send your children to school now days. We just had two young people commit suicide and then there was a rumor going around that someone was coming to the school to shoot some others and then kill themselves. This went on for about a week and I kept mine home with me so I knew they were safe. We had a bomb scare a few years back and it seems to be just getting worse and worse. I don't know if I could do the home schooling thing for a couple of reasons, my patience and I don't know if I could still do the curriculum. We want our kids to have an education but we want them safe while they receive it.

This is not quite as serious as that but on the school bus a child brought fireworks and a lighter and was lighting them and throwing them out of the window. My kids told me so I called the school. They had no idea what is going on. The kid deny's doing it yet both of my kids say they saw it as does two other kids. One child who was walking by the bus has burns from where he was hit by the fireworks. The bus driver did nothing and now the school is saying they do not know if they have enough proof that it was the accused child so they can not punish him. Personally I think it is getting crazy and I think they have enough proof to do something.

It breaks my heart every time I hear about a child committing suicide. What are they thinking? You know I'm a parent and I know my kids don't tell me everything, but I would hope they would reach out before it ever got to that. I know some kids just keep it inside.
    Kids need to be safe - period! I went to an open house in high school and there were teachers talking about these "Safe houses" - certain classrooms were considered this and kids could go there if they felt like they were not safe. It's a start I guess.

It breaks my heart as well. You have these bullies who know they can get away with anything as long as an adult does not see. I mean the child in this case brought fireworks and a lighter to school and one kid was injured. Those are explosives and now that he knows he can get away with it what will he do next??? And what about the children he is bullying? They will have to live in fear and may become depressed just because no one will stand up to the bully.