Thread: Carports and hurricanes

Carports and hurricanes

I live in a hurricane prone area and I wanted to get a detached carport, but I'm concerned about the stability of them. Does anyone know if they can withstand hurricane force winds?

I would seriously doubt it. I would find any kind of product specifications on a particular brand before you buy it to make sure though. If they sell them in areas that are prone to tornadoes and hurricanes, they should have some kind of wind rating.

Carports are like large kites in high winds. You will need a really heavy string to keep hold of it. The tail probably won't be necessary.

Lol, speedbump.

Yea, if you have a major hurricane hit, I wouldn't count on the carport being in one piece after the fact. I've seen people concrete them into the ground, but the metal can still be manipulated in hurricane force winds.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnn View Post
    Lol, speedbump.

Yea, if you have a major hurricane hit, I wouldn't count on the carport being in one piece after the fact. I've seen people concrete them into the ground, but the metal can still be manipulated in hurricane force winds.
    On second thought, I wouldn't hold on to that cord no matter how big it was; cause that carport is going on a trip.

I don't know why hurricane prone areas would even sell them. You may not know exactly where a hurricane will hit from one year to the next, but why take that chance?

I think it keeps the screen/aluminum guys in business.

Are going to have to get a building permit? If so, the local building department will have guidelines to follow to prevent it from flying into your neighbors yard. That doesn't mean that it won't fly when the storm hits, but you will have your a#$ covered if it does. Frequently hurricanes are acompanied by tornadoes, if that happens all bets are off. It's an act of god and it your carport launching is the least of your worries.
    Look around, do any of your neighbors have carports? A carport is basically another name for a small pole barn. You can build one to withstand a certain wind load and it should remain. Most building departments around here specify 100 mph windload.

I have a 24 x 24 that is 12 foot tall and it survived huricanes Rita, Umberto, and Ike! Ilve close to the Gulf coast and desighned this one my self. All post are still plumb and no metal dammage on roof. Now the Huge oak tree that fell on my home made it a different story. I will give you all the specs on this metal carport if you are interested. Dave