Thread: Gourds

Gourds

Anyone plant their own gourds? We have never tried to plant them but we get them every season. It seems that we always miss a couple of them in the yard (we use a lot to decorate) and it rots into the ground and we get gourds the next year.

I haven't planted them, but I buy loads of gourds every fall. I love to decorate with them. I keep baskets of them all over the house from the beginning of October until Thanksgiving.

We have planted gourds for years. The only problem with planting them is they are usually the same gourd when they grow (different sizes of course). We like to decorate with a lot of different shaped and color gourds. Cool that you get them from the rotten ones.

I've never planted them, but I want to. I'd like to grow enough that we could sell them at the local farmer's market. Are they hard to grow? Do they take any kind of special care?

Ours just grow, we just plant the seed and they grow. A lot of times we even forget about watering them. They are a lot like pumpkins- very little care is needed, but a lot of space is needed. The vine gets really long.

If others are having luck with growing them maybe we should try planting them for real next time. I would like a variety of them so maybe we should plant them next season. I'm sure it's too late this season.

Phena you must have a wonderfully green thumb. I do terrible with gourds and pumpkins. I always end up with dead vines that have to fruit.. wait is pumpkin a fruit or vegetable?