Thread: Coons in the garden

Coons in the garden

The raccoons are eating more corn from the garden then we are. How do we get rid of the buggers? We can't seem to see them doing it so they must be coming after dark.

Pinkie, I hate to say it, but my solution was to quit growing corn. If you have a small patch, it only takes a couple of raccoons to wipe out your whole crop. The cost of building an electric fence or other means of keeping 'coons away is prohibitive in my estimation. I just buy all my corn from someone else now. I'm not growing anymore corn just to feed those stinkin' 'coons.

I agree with Jim. After the second crop was eaten I tried to grow 4 times as much hoping to get a few ears but in one night it was all gone. I just got a dog so next year I will plant corn within sight of the dog.

Seems like you could put some chicken wire or some other type of barrier around the corn to deter those pesky animals. I read once that you could make a spray of cayenne pepper or some type of hot sauce and squirt it on the stalks and that raccoons don't like that.

I did put a complete enclosure of hog panels and chicken wire on 4 sides and on top. Those rascals found a spot where the walls came together that they could pry apart. Corn in season = 5 ears for $1.00 Post and wire $200.00

I don't know if the pepper will work but I can see the coons peeling the corn to where there is no pepper. Re-apply $$ after each rain and heavy dew.

A two wire electric fence works for me, but I had the fencing on hand anyway. Might not be economical if you have to buy everything new. Something else that I hear will thin out the coons is a cocktail of Golden Maldrin fly bait with coke or pepsi. Sit a pan of that out where the coon can find it. They love it, but, usually don't get over a few feet away after drinking from the pan.