Thread: cleaning wood floors

cleaning wood floors

I recently pulled up the old carpet in our home. The wood floors underneath are in so-so condition. My mother-in-law says don't use any type of detergent or any excessive water on the floor but I thought that was for wood floors that have a finish on them. My boards are kind of dry looking with just a touch of sheen in certain areas. Also, they seem to get dusty so quick! She says I should use Murphy's Wood oil on them but I'm not sure. Will that help with the dust and give the wood a brighter look?

You might have to sand them and apply a stain or clear coat to them. We had to do that to our wood floors when we ripped up the rug. They look awesome now, it didn't hurt the wood at all.

MURPHYS OIL for wood. And a hoover floor mate if you have one.

http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap/home

I also just use Murphy's oil mixed as instructed and use a dish rag to apply it. They look good with the oil on it.

Oh! Good idea. I don't know why I didn't think about Murphy's Oil soap before. Our home has all wood floors except in the kitchen and living room (they are wood floor under the carpet and vinyl). They are in okay condition but we certainly need to work on them. Daily kind of cleaning, I just vaccuum with my regular vaccuum but on the hardwood floor setting. I'm afraid to pull up the carpet in our living room, though--afraid of what's under there. :/

You should use dry clothes to clean your kitchen wooden floor. With the help it your floor will shown always shine.

Murphy's oil is some of the best. We've been using it for years on our shelves, and it helps keep the finish intact along with keeping the dust down.

Murphy's Oil is the only thing I have ever used on my wood floor and it always makes it look nice. I actually like how it makes my house smell as well.

Use a very dry damp mop when mopping polyurethaned wood floors, since excess water can seep into seams and ruin a wood floor.

The key to cleaning any kind of wood is to use only enough water to qualify as "damp". Just using plian water and a mop will be effective, so long as the mop is damp.