Thread: Covering Paneling

Covering Paneling

At first I thought I would wall paper over the paneling in the entryway of our house. Now I'm thinking of painting over it. I've seen some online info about doing a faux treatment that would make the wall look like textured rock/stucco (on a non paneled wall) but I'm afraid the stucco stuff won't adhere very well. Also, would the indentions in the paneling eventually make the stucco crack after a few years? Has anyone done this to their interior walls?

I've done faux painting to regular drywall and it looks great! I've never used the stucco-type material, though. I would think that the indentations would help hold the stucco in place if anything, but I"m not sure how the stucco would adhere to the paneling. Many there is something you could get to prime the paneling. Rough sanding it might roughen it up so the stucco would stick, too. Does anyone know for sure?

The house that I grew up in was built in the 70s and had a basement filled with dark, dark paneling. Shortly before my mom sold the home, she painted, a few coats, right over top of it. No special techniques. It looked fabulous and I so wished she would have done it long ago.

You can use a primer like Kilz or something of that sort and it manages to look almost like beadboard. You can also fill the lines with spackle but it would be a lot of work sanding it down.

Is there drywall under the paneling? If so why not just pull the paneling off all together and paint the drywall? If there isn't anything underneath then Kilz should work fine.

The last time I papered over paneling, I used liner paper under the wallpaper. Wash the walls good, then use a primer or sizing. Then the liner, then the wallpaper. Looked great when it was done.

See now I would put wallpaper over the paneling and then paint that. You can get a decorative wallpaper and then paint and it would look cool, it would hide the imperfections of the paneling.
    What a fun project.