Thread: about 2 years old and not trained

about 2 years old and not trained

We adopted a dachshund 2 years ago this coming December. They told us he was about a year old but we think he was younger. No matter what we do, he will not go outside. The foster home he was in said he was fully trained. We taught him to ring a bell to tell us, but he'll do his thing and then ring the bell. And we do the normal training correction. Any ideas?

Have you tried to use puppy pads in the house? You can gradually move them closer to the door and hopefully he would learn to go outside. I have a friend who is going through the same thing.

Small dogs are much harder to house train than big dogs. I work for a pet retail company and wee wee pads are one of the biggest sellers in the industry for this exact reason. Keep trying, but it's not going to be easy. They can't wait as long as big dogs so take them out OFTEN. If you do use the pads, or the new fake grass washable thingees, you are in a way admitting to them it's OK to go in the house. We have made such an admission to our wee little dog as the alternative was .......you know.

I do think that part of our problem is that our 11 year old responsible for taking him out. 10 seconds is not long enough for the dog to determine where and when to go. We are working on the 11 year old, too. I agree with jimmyj that it seems counterintuitive to use the pads, but I know people who have used them and it's not something that had crossed our minds. Eventually, we hope to put in a fence and I think that would help. It's only the one issue, the other one, he goes out for....it's the "stinky" that we have the problem with. I've also heard that dachshunds are stubborn and take a long time to train. Thoughts? Thanks for weighing in!

I agree with everyone else, he needs to be taken out on a regular schedule and kept out for at least 10 minutes to see if he will potty. I use to have a minature dachshund and she was pretty easy to housebreak. I just took her out about every 2 hours, and especially every time after she ate. It will help tremendously when you get a area fenced off for her. You might want to put up a small temporary fence that you can put her in to use as a potty, until you get your yard fence up.

Oh, if you happen to stop by the Homesteading forum, I have my minature donkey in the "furry friend' contest. Stop by and give us a vote !! His name is Jeremiah and he is the cutest thing.

Thanks
    MrsMcClain

We seem to be making some progress this week! This morning I felt like such a fool because I made such a big deal and fuss over him for going outside, but maybe that will help in efforts just the same.