Thread: Coupons

Coupons

My sister has been trying to get me to start shopping with coupons. It seems like so much work for just a few cents savings. Have any of you done this? If so how much are you able to save on your groceries each month?

My wife uses coupons, but doesn't make any special effort to find them. She gets them from flyers in the Sunday edition of the newspaper when she buys one, which isn't often. She also looks on sites that have coupons every now and then. Couponing used to pay off in saving a lot of money, but now it seems like it's only a few cents here and there. Still, a few cents saved now and then is money you have to spend on something else. It adds up over a year's time.

My wife uses them too and she saves a lot of money. The stores around here double coupons most of the time. She usually goes to all 3 stores in town and she shops the sales. Most times the stores will run sales that match the weekly coupons. The kids help her clip and sort the coupons and she matches what she had to the local ads. I know it saves us a lot of money.

I love it when people say it takes too much time to save money. What you don't sit in front of the TV ever? That is where I do it. I clip on Sundays when I get the paper and then I match Sunday night to the local ads. I usually shop Sunday night too (these shelves are usually stocked then).

I save at least 50% off my grocery bill every week sometimes more. So is it worth it to me to clip coupons, the short answer is yes. I sometimes purchase specific ones from Ebay as well.

I used to be a "Coupon Queen" for many years, but I have recently made a big change. Yes, you can save a ton of money, and yes, it is worth the time spent. But I came to realize that most of the stuff that I was getting for free or next to nothing was not always very healthy. And since I was getting tons of stuff, we had nothing but junk to eat. I recently saw where a woman was bragging about all of the stuff she bought - it was about $200 worth of stuff that she got for about $30. I looked at what she had, and there was no fresh fruits or vegetables, meats or anything. There wasn't even anything she could have made a decent meal out of! It was all stuff like 20 energy bars, 20 boxed potatoes, 20 pop tarts, fruit roll-ups - you get the idea! At the end of the day, I am sure that she still would have had to go out and either buy some "food", or eat "fast food" because she had worn herself out cutting coupons and looking for deals! I say, take half of that, buy some meat, potatoes, veggies, and fruit, and go home and cook a decent meal for your family.

@downhome- I am envious of your 50% weekly savings. @pumpkin- I am finding more and more coupons for healthy things. I am finding searching for printable coupons for thinks I know I am going to buy is a good strategy.