Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmer's Market

Farmer's Market

We haven't had any luck with our garden this year so we have been buying produce at the Farmer's market near us. We went this morning to buy some basics and I bought a few nice tomatoes. It cost me $12 for six tomatoes! They were $2 a pound. I couldn't believe it!! Next year I'm putting my garden on higher ground where it doesn't get flooded out. We haven't even been able to can anything for this winter at those prices.

Davis that is crazy! I can get a while bushel basket full of tomatoes at my Farmer's Market for $10. That is why I frequent the Farmer's Market. I am between harvests on my garden right now but I have gotten tons of fruits and veggies out of mine.

Around here tomatoes have been over $2.00 a pound at the stores most of the summer. In fact, it seems like all produce has been higher than usual. I haven't been to our Farmer's Market, but I talked to a couple of my neighbors and they said their tomatoes didn't do well at all this year.

Holy crow! That is crazy, especially this time of the season. I love our farmers market, I go all the time but I go for fresh fruits. We have a huge garden so I don't need any veggies. I'm actually putting a bunch out front for people.

Wow, that means i just had a snack that was about $5 worth of salad, all from the back yard except the dressing!!!
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I went to the farmers market to buy peaches and apples. All other items I had in the garden or in a friend's garden. It sucks that it cost you so much for your veggies. I think that people should make some money if they want to sell but that is crazy!

Was in Anchorage, Alaska a month ago. Vine-ripened Alaskan tomatoes at the downtown market were $7.99 per pound. Figured I should have packed my suitcase with kansas tomatoes. I could have bought new clothes. LOL

$7.99 a pound!? I know items can be more expensive in Alaska, but that seems even higher than it should be. We didn't have a produce from what we planted either. I hope next year is different for us. I'd much rather have home-grown produce than buying from a store.

Didn't compare the $7.99 to any different market, don't know if that is typical or not. The same vendor had zuchinni at $2.50 each or $10 for five.

It's funny cause at the one near me they sell them per bag but people buying think "wow 2.00 for a bag" but they are small and probably not even a pound so the fact that they are up front about their price is something. We just need to be aware.