Thread: Minivan or car?

Minivan or car?

I am going to be in the market for a new vehicle soon. I have always drove a mini van because I have 3 kids. I know a car might be a little more cost effective. Do you think I should stick with a minivan or move to a car?

That is hard to say. A car would be sufficient for 3 kids and more cost efficient, but a minivan allows for more room and convenience when you take the kids shopping or if you need to take extra items with you, like to a place to swim or fish. I would make a list of the pros and cons and make a decision based on that.

Yes, you need to look at what aggravates you with the vehicle you have now or what could you not do without. With my car and kids I realize that we always can't fit everybody and always have to take 2 cars even if it's just to dinner so my next car will definitely seat 7-8 and be a hybrid even if it has to be slightly used.

Our next vehicle, we plan on purchasing a bigger vehicle more like a crossover. We scaled down my husbands to a compact car, a Volvo S40, to accomodate the bigger vehicle for me. Mine is currently a mid size. I miss the extra space that I had with our mini van when we sold it 5 years ago. But I really enjoy the gas mileage that we get now.

If you have more than 2 kids, a minivan is more practical. Kids get easily bored in a small car because there is less room to move about.

Half the time my twins are best friends and the other half the time they wanna choke each other. I am going to go with a mini van. I am taking my time shopping around waiting for a good deal. It is better to buy a vehicle when you are not feeling desperate.

Cost effective? Which one will be more convenient for your family? I am thinking a mini-van right? You will have a hard time getting 3 kids in your car and then if they have friends too. I would get a mini-van.

I went back to our old car when the SUV lease finished. I don't regret it because the trips to pump are cheaper. I am fortunate in which my trunk is spacious enough for me, and my twins are great and don't fight in the car. They don't need to be entertained. Good conversation, i spy games and audio books is all we need. I have to admit that I still miss my Pathfinder, but I my wallet is super happy with the change.

I had a mini van for a brief period of time and I couldn't stand the thing. Just wasn't my style, I guess. That said, I don't have three kids either. If I did, I would probably bite the bullet and go with a mini van for the space and convenience. A good sized crossover might be able to do the trick too.