Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe moving from city to country

Maybe moving from city to country

We've been tossing around the idea of moving from our city to a small piece of land in the country. It may even be to entirely different state (east coast to Montana). Any advice?

If you have always lived in the city, you should consider whether country life is something you would enjoy. Country life is a lot quieter than cities are. There is more wildlife. Stores aren't always close-by. On a small piece of ground, you would have more privacy. You might be driving farther to your job and should check out the area to make sure jobs are available. In short, check out everything you can and be sure it is something you want to do.

I'd recommend country life to anyone, but I've lived in the country most of my life.

I have also lived in the country most of my life and this is where I'm happiest, but I can't imagine making the transition from the city. It is definitely not for everyone. To add to Joe's list of things to consider would be that living in the country is more work. Even if you only have an acre or two, there is more yard work and maintenance involved.

In our situation, it's about 8 min to town and about 30 to the nearest city. We already drive about 45 minutes to work. Plus my brother is about 25 minutes away to the new location. I am concerned over the wildlife issue....I'm not good with rodents and reptiles. And I would say that we are ready for the quietness. We currently live in a city of over 1 million people. Thanks for your thoughts!

The area where we live is, or used to be, semi-rural. Over the past 20-30 years there has been quite an influx of floks moving from urban areas. Some that I have spoken with are absolutely terrified to go outside their houses after dark. They hear noises in the woods that they can't identify and I guess their imaginations go nuts. I grew up here and used to camp a lot in high school. That was when camping was putting up a tent in the middle of the woods, no electric, no running water, no bathrooms, etc. And definitely no cell phones. We learned to identify what most of the stuff was and learned to live with it. Anybody ever go on a snipe hunt?

I have went from country living to city and I HATE it. I would go back if it wasn't for the hour and a half drive each way.

I am concerned over the wildlife issue....I'm not good with rodents and reptiles
    Honestly, I don't know anyone who does really well with rodents and reptiles, especially mice, rats, and snakes. I can certainly understand your concern. You did say you're ready for the quiet, though.

People are only use to what they grew up around. I have always lived in the country and am very comfortable. I am not comfortable being in the city or even driving in the city. Which makes it hard when we travel to highly populated areas.

Moving from the city to a country are is a culture shock to most people. I had a friend who dreamed of moving out of the city. Once in the country realized they were happier in the city becuase that is what they were use to. She didn't want to do all the work that was needed on a piece of land.

Have you ever lived in the country? It's amazing! I think the biggest shock is not having stores right there, instead you might have to drive 15-30 miles to go grocery shopping. That was my biggest problem. You just have to plan better.