Thread: After school reading

After school reading

I have my kids read every night even though I know they read at school. I have replaced some of their TV time with reading. I am noticing they are watching a lot less TV and reading more often. I hope we can keep this up! Where do you get books?

It's wonderful that your children are reading more and watching TV less. You could take your children to the library to check out books. It would be a good way to teach them about the library and to be responsible to return the books on time. You can also get books at stores like Walmart or bookstores. Another good place to look is at yard sales and flea markets. You can sometimes get like-new children's books at a fraction of the cost at those.

We get books at the local library and also online on e-bay. I have also joined a book club so the books are cheaper. Reading is so important and my kids love to do it. I read and they see me so I think it gets them reading too.

I have purchased a lot of good books over the years at thrift stores and library sales. If you want some really fun time with your children, read to them in the evening instead of watching television. Find an exciting book and I can guarantee that all of you will enjoy it. We have wonderful memories of sitting around the fire reading in the evening with our children. Sometimes it would get so exciting we just couldn't go to bed until we finished the story!

The community center in the town I live in has book sales about once a month to help raise funds. The are some pretty good deals there.

Find a used book store and buy them books. Model it - buy books for yourself. Then all of you go home and read. See who can read the longest! Encourage novels over over non fiction. Science fiction/fantasy is great. The best sellers usually have easy reading levels - not challenging. Stephen King writes at a 3rd grade level - even though his books are long. Great for fun, but as they get older - throw in more difficult books. British novels will improve their skills because the vocabulary is less familiar. Reading is for fun. If it is a chore- not so good. Basically it is let them read anything - that's the reward - can explore new vistas! Good luck.