Thread: Buying Meat - Where?

Buying Meat - Where?

I've noticed that there is a big difference sometimes between the quality of meat at stores. The discount stores are places I won't buy meet because it's quality is inferior. Where have you found the best quality meat?

I guess if you go to an old-fashioned butcher shop, you would get the best, because that is their specialty. But, you are right, I won't buy meat just anywhere. I know it costs a little more, but if you have a Publix near you, I would consider shopping there. They seem to be the freshest in my area.

Yep the butcher shop or even when you buy a whole or half cow from a farmer. They are the best places to get the meat from. I agree discount stores have terrible meat, it's fattier if you ask me. I don't ever buy any there.

I bought some meat at a discount store recently, and I'll never do it again. Besides having more fat, it turned brown that night. I'll gladly pay more for good quality meat, and would love to find a farmer who grain-feeds. That meat is exceptional!

Yep, we prefer an old fashioned meat market that's 50 miles each way from home. Welcome to Fischer's Meat Market

I also agree with everyone the meat market or a butcher is the best place to go for quality meat. I find it to be less expensive to get our meat from the butcher down the road than to drive into town and buy it at the grocery store.

I always buy mine at the meat market. You get better quality meat and usually a better price than you get at the grocery store. Since I found this meat market, I won't buy it anywhere else.

For many years we bought our pre-cut, pre-packaged meats at the supermarket. It wasn't bad. But not we found Fischer's Meat Market where they have better quality meats, a wide assortment of cheeses cheaper than the supermarkets (I'm fond of smoked cheddar), a wide assortment of sausages, including many that are fully cooked and can be quickly heated in the microwave, especially the best brats and hot links, but they'll also custom cut and package meats anyway you want them instead of having to take whatever is in the supermarket meat counter. I'm assuming the rest of you have found a similar situation in your meat markets.