Thread: Hummingbirds

Hummingbirds

I love watching the hummingbirds that fly around out by me. There is one particular tree they like but the flowers are gone now. I would like to put out a feeder but every time I do it attracts yellow jackets. How can I keep them away?

I don't think you can, although as it gets cooler out the bees start to disappear. I'm not sure how to keep them away when it's nice out though. I too love to watch the hummingbirds, they are the neatest little bird out there.

I also have the same problem with the bees. I have put mine in the middle of our bay window in the front room so I can enjoy them in while relaxing. I think they are fascinating to watch. The other day one got mad that the feeder was low and looked in each middle pain of glass (their are 5) to see if I noticed!

I am going to have to try to look something up about getting rid of them. The hummingbirds won't even come to feed because they get so bad and when I go to fill up the feeder they end up chasing me.

I am not sure if this will help, but in doing some research, many people found that when they use an all red (no yellow at all) feeder they did not have a problem with the yellow jacks. Some feeders come apart for easy cleaning.

There may be something to Cracko'Dawn's color theory. Our feeders are red and we do not have a yellow jacket problem, now ants are a different matter.
    AbO 2012

Hummingbirds are attracted to red, and bees are attracted to yellow. I have a bronze hummingbird feeder that I fill with red liquid. The bees don't go near it, although the feeder is on my deck, and the bees are other places on the deck.

We don't see humming birds where I live but there is a moth that looks very much like a large bee and acts like a humming bird. I first saw one in Austria and it's amazing!

There are hummingbird feeders that has a mesh over the hole which is far enough from the liquid that the bees can't get any BUT not so far that the birds long beak has a problem reaching the food.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"