Thread: Basic Cornbread?

Basic Cornbread?

I need a recipe or just instructions on how to make cornbread. My mom used to make it every night but I never paid any attention to how she made it. I want to start making it for my kids especially when I make pinto beans or green beans.

My wife uses Quaker Yellow Corn Meal and uses the recipe right off of the package.

Not sure about legality of posting a recipe from a commercially available product. So I would say buy some and use that recipe, it taste pretty good to me. Pretty close to what my mom made when I was growing up.

I make cornbread all of the time but I don't really have a recipe. I just melt a large, heaping spoonful of Crisco or lard in an iron skillet in a 450 degree oven. The I put about 2 cups of cornmeal in a bowl, crack an egg into it and add milk until it's pourable but not too much because your grease is going into that mix and will make it a bit thinner. Take the grease out of the oven and pour it into the bowl with the other stuff and stir it up. Pour it back into the skillet (if your skillet is hot enough, the cornmeal mix will sizzle) and put it back into the oven until it's brown. It is just something you have to experiment with until you get what you want.

When I was growing up, we made cornbread the same as Wanderer, but in later years we've gotten a bit lazy and find the ready to use mix is just as good for our taste, so we just use the Jiffy Corn Muffin mix to which you add a third cup of milk and one egg. Makes no difference whether we make muffins or one pan of cornbread, we use the same thing.

My wife has been using Jiffy for years. She makes it in a cast iron skillet and it's delicious. After the skillet's seasoned it's a breeze to clean.