Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many is too many?

How many is too many?

I hear stories on the news from time to time about how people have like 50 dogs and 10 goats on their property, and they're all either sick or dying. How many pets do you have?

I don't currently have any, unless you count the baby mouse who makes my garden his home. I hate those stories though because I am an animal lover. I just don't understand how people take on so many animals when most of the time they can barely feed themselves!

We only have one dog. When the kids were little, we had one dog and one cat for quite awhile. And now one daughter and her husband have one dog and one cat. the other daughter and her husband have 3 dogs. But all the dogs and cats in our family are indoor, pampered critters.

We have four dogs and three cats and ALL of them are spayed or neutered. I'm letting my population drop by attrition so I don't think we'll have any more until some of the older ones die off (hopefully of natural causes).

We have only one dog right now and she's the queen of the house. We did have two for a long time but one died from old age, we adopted another, then 6 months later the other died from congestive heart failure. We're in the process of trying to sell our house so won't adopt any more until we've moved. Whatever we adopt in the future will be through a rescue group. The limit will probably be 2.

We have three dogs and a cat (for the indoor pets anyway). I really wasn't thrilled with the idea of three dogs in the house, but we kind of had no choice. The third addition was a puppy we had given away and ended up having to rescue a couple months later. Then he had parvo which cost us $500 to treat. I wasn't about to invest $500 in a dog and then turn around and give him away. So, he's part of the family now.

I really don't care how many pets people have as long as they take care of them and keep a clean house. Yea, it can be a pain in the butt (I don't get excited about having to vacuum every single day), but if people want pets that's the way it should be. Unfortunately, some people don't take care of their pets or their homes.

I really don't care how many pets people have as long as they take care of them and keep a clean house.
    I think that's the key. There was a fellow who was one of my best friends when we were young and single. We worked together, went bowling and fishing together, etc. And of course later when I moved on to another job, and both of us married, we still visited frequently and our wives became friends. But we eventually quit visiting them at all because we couldn't stand the odor in their house. I think it was 5 dogs and 4 cats and I guess they had become accustomed to the odor, but it was horrible.

My wife and I have 4 cats and 2 dogs and I think that is too many. But at least they are well cared for and loved. I just hope my wife doesn't push for more. Six pets are enough for one family.

I live in St Pete Florida. We can only have 5 dogs or cats without a kennel license. Other wise I would love to have about, oh I don`t know, maybe 7 dogs if I could afford it. I love dogs. We have two right now.

I knew a lady who had so many cats she could not keep count. She would take one or two at a time to be neutered but she could not keep up and there was always one or more having kittens, then she could not bear to part with the kittens. There were at least 17 when I moved away from the area.