Thread: Which can I plant?

Which can I plant?

Sometime in the near future I want to start growing some of my own veggies but not sure of what's good to start with for my area, we're close to the mountain so we get a lot of late afternoon and morning rain but all other times it's very hot, the soil is a little rocky but I think pretty good, we're thinking tomatoes, lettuce and squash also what month should I be aiming for.

I know right now my dad just planted his Fall garden. We live in the Southeast so I am sure that makes a difference but he planted broccoli, cabbage, and stuff like that. You should be able to do a search online to see what zone you are in and what you can plant when.

Thanks for pointing me in a good direction. The internet has a LOT of info, but sometimes it's overwhelming, so I love to get the insight of those who have seen it or done it.

Sounds like you need to stick some seeds or plants in the ground and see what works, or ask your neighbors. Soils can vary greatly on the same piece of property, let alone different parts of the country. You could have a soil test done, most counties will do it for free or you could buy a test kit, do it yourself, learn what the ph levels are and go from there.
    Based on what you've said: grapes might do well there.
    If your serious, till up some dirt in the sunniest place (in the spring) now, and start a compost pile, get some manure and by march you'll be ready to plant something. Tomatoes, beans and squash grow in most places.
    I personally think it's better to work with what will grow locally rather than try to change the soil and fight various pests and diseases, and funguses..

You can try peas as they are a cold weather crop. I love snow peas and they will only grow when it's slightly chilly and the sun is weaker. I am getting ready to plant mine in the next few days. I should be able to get some before the snow flies here in the mid east.

Heard of 1 person that used 6" pvc pipe and drilled holes in it lengthwise and put potting soil in and then the plants and suspended them on ropes so were planting vertically, with end caps so the dirt did not fall out. Good for any shallow rooted crops but needed to be watered daily.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

I have a big backyard but the soil is very bad. I need to invest some money first on getting the ground prepared. That is my plan for next spring. I think tomatoes are good every where as well as green peppers. What I would like to find out is what tree would do good in my area. I am in northern NJ.