Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat or milk?

Meat or milk?

Do you prefer to grow cows for their meat or milk? What is your preference based on? I kinda think that growing cows for its milk is more profitable than it is for the meat.

My uncle has both meat and milk cows and he loves it. I don't have any cows at all. If I did, I would go with the milk cows. I love fresh milk! I also would not want to have to butcher them.

A lot depends on your land/pasture, plus milking is 2c a day every day, where meats you can slip away for a few days.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

When I was a kid, we had one milk cow most of the time, two for awhile. As stated above, milking that blasted cow was a twice a day job every day, rain or shine, no such thing as calling in sick or taking a vacation. Of course the milk cow (Jersey) was usually bred to a Hereford bull, so we raised one calf a year for meat. While we milked twice a day (customary back then) at 5:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., I understand a lot of dairies now milk 3 times a day; every 8 hours. Also, when I was a kid, dad's best friend worked on a Guernsey dairy and they milked at noon and midnight because of their delivery schedules. At any rate, as much as I preferred fresh raw milk, there's no way I'd ever want a milk cow again.

I agree with Bird; milk cows are more hassle than they are worth. I'd rather buy the raw milk from a farmer.

Raising cows for meat is easier.

I don't know but can I raise a cow if I'm not a farmer or of that sort? Can I just leave the cow to feed on a field and let it grow or do I need to know more about growing and maintaining a cow? I can decide to either grow a cow for meat or milk if I have the answers to my questions.

I started with meat cows that I bought in the spring. I pastured them thru the fall & then butchered before winter. I learned a LOT about cows and didn't have to deal with wintering them. I'd recommend that as a way to start & then decide how you want to proceed the next year. I bought 4 & sold 3.5. I made enough to keep the other .5 in my freezer for free.

I would raise cows for milk for sure!! I just do not have the heart to slaughter a cow or any animal for that matter. I don't mind eating them, but I just could not look into those big brown eyes knowing I'm going to kill it eventually. I also love being around animals so I would not mind milking a cow 2 or 3 times a day because that means I would get to spend more time with that cute cow.
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

Meat here all the way, I keep a mother cow around and have her bred back after she calves. I am in aggrement that its not really that cost effective, but I do like the idea of knowing where my meat came from. As far as the raising of cattle its not to involved, more like calculated neglect. The steer in the box is now in the freezer and his replacement is nearly as big as he is in the picture and momma is due to calve again in june.

We have Jersey bull calves we're raising for beef. We'll sell them at auction for finishing but keep 1-3 for ourselves and family. I'd love to have a couple of milk cows and to try making cheese.