Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat or milk?

I have a younger brother who said he and a friend bought 2 calves seveal years ago and raised them for the meat. He said if they didn't count their labor as being worth anything, he figures they probably saved 2 cents a pound on their meat.:laughing: He said they'd never do that again.

I like dairy barns, cows, calves. Used to have holsteins and guernseys. I hated to see the one every year head for the butcher. The pigs went also and from there into the freezer. I like horses today and chickens, I don't have to worry that they will be butchered. I like to keep what I get - family, so I tend not to pick up stray animals over the years. But I miss the farming still- 40 years later. Used to show dairy cattle as a kid, a lot like showing horses - fitting and showmanship. But the connection with the horse you train lasts longer. I think that when a cow is milked daily and in a stanchion for a good part of the year- it changes- not the pet it used to be. But we had cattle that headed for the truck when show season came along - wanting to get on with the others.

-Have to say though - the quality of your own meat and milk is far superior to what you buy in the grocery store. It is good to eat healthy on fine cuts!