Thread: indoor pond

indoor pond

I'm wanting to build a small indoor pond in the entryway of our home. Nothing bigger than about 4 ft by 2 ft wide; maybe with a small waterfall cascading down some rocks. It will probably be fairly shallow - maybe about 1 foot deep. Our home is older so I am concerned about the weight load of several gallons of water - not to mention the rocks that I'd like to surround the pond with. What are some considerations/concerns I should be thinking about for something like this?

I think the weight would be the main consideration. If you have a basement (or even a crawl space), you might want to put extra bracing under where you are putting the pool. The water would be another consideration. Just be sure whatever you use to hold the water is strong and won't break.

You want to make sure that you have a load bearing floor. For what you are suggesting I would add 4 more braces. You may want to look up a diagram on load bearing structures.

Unless you are in an extremely dry area forget it. The condensation on your windows and mold everywhere will be your biggest problems. Way too much humidity inside.