Thread: Public Transportation

Public Transportation

I wonder why public transportation is so bad in the country. If you don't have a vehicle, you are getting nowhere fast! It is even hard to get a cab to come out, and if you do, it costs so much! I wonder why it is not offered at all in most places - even if a bus only ran a few times a day, it would be better than nothing.

I think it might be because the majority of the country doesn't show enough interest in it. If gas prices keep rising though, they may change.

I have also wondered this. We never have had public transportation, cabs, or food delivery at my parents house! We only live 15 minutes from town and you would think we live an hour away! Last year though a pizza place decided they were going to extend their area so they can get pizza if they order $20 worth of stuff.

I think Doug is right - unless more people request that kind of service, it is not cost productive to use the man power and expense to go into outlaying areas.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, it the majority demands it then the need is fulfilled. Is there school buses for the area kids or are they on their own too?

No, actually there are school buses, which is a good thing. My kids would have had to walk about five miles to school, if not. And there are hardly any sidewalks, either, so it would be too dangerous.

I don't know of any public transportation system that isn't heavily subsidized by tax money. There simply is not enough demand (enough riders) for ticket prices to pay for it. So maybe some people object to their tax dollars paying for a transportation system they'll never use. Of course another way to look at it that, even if I never us the system myself, my tax dollars supporting it is keeping those riders off the streets and out of my way. And, personally, I don't have a solution.

I think more areas should offer public transit as I know a lot of people who have no other way to get around. It would be a way for people in outlying areas to get jobs in places normally couldn't because of distance. I know though even sometimes here we have trouble with it being slow and irregular.

Those are the joys of living in the country. I am glad there is not a lot of buses or cabs out here where I live, it would be a real pain. I do agree that if you need to get around and you don't have a vehicle you are in some trouble.