Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct deposit

Direct deposit

I just had to vent about this for a minute. My husband's company refuses to use direct deposit and it is such a pain in the butt. There are well over 1,000 employees so it's crazy to me that they wouldn't want to get away from tracking paper checks every week, but the old lady who runs the payroll department will not go for it.

He travels a lot and it causes us so much trouble. If we're on the road together we have to get someone at the main office to deposit his check every week. Plus, there are benefits our bank offers to people with direct deposit and we're obviously not eligible. I know people survived for years without direct deposit, but when you have something that would be so much more convenient for everyone involved available, why not take advantage of it?

That really is surprising. I would have thought there would be financial advantages to the company as well the employees. Don't banks have a "per check" charge on business accounts? And doesn't the company have to pay to have new checks printed? That's certainly different.

Surprising to me too, my company almost makes us use direct deposit. At first they said you had to go to direct deposit and to their bank ~ too many people fought back. Now it's just frowned on if you won't switch to direct deposit to your own bank. It's cheaper for the company and it's easier for you.

What company in this day and age doesn't have direct deposit? That's just crazy! Like Dan said, there are so many advantages not only for the banks and for you, but for the company, as well.

Wow I am really surprised also! My work is like Dans' with practically forcing direct deposit on us. I love my direct deposit because it is in the bank and available a day before everyone else gets paid and if I don't work on Friday I don't have to drive the 45 minutes to work and 15 to the bank.

Maybe the "old lady" had some bad experience in the past. It's been so long ago that I can't even remember when it was that the City of Dallas first offered direct deposit. I was one of the first to sign up for it, and I was one of the first to get off of it. I got off of it becauseof the uncertainty about when the deposit would be posted. Back then, payday was every other Friday and it was supposed to be posted that day. Actually, it sometimes wasn't posted until the following Monday or Tuesday, so I got off direct deposit. But a few months later, as they got the bugs worked out, my credit union notified me that they would guarantee posting on the correct date, whether the city got it right or not, so for many, many years now; no problems.

Depending on how old the old lady is, I think it's understandable that she would not want to go to direct deposit. So much has changed so quickly in the world that those who are older haven't adjusted to them. Of course, that should not be her decision, but the owner's. If it's something he wants to do, he needs to take her aside privately and gently tell her that they are going to direct deposit, answer any questions she might have, and help her adjust to the changes.

If I had to guess, I would say she's in her 60s. Not really all that old, but old enough for healthygal to be right - she just isn't getting with the times. I don't mean to sound insulting by calling her "old lady." It's just that she aggravates me with the refusal to switch. I think the reason the company hasn't forced her to make the change is because she's been there since day one and they have always let her have complete control of her department. She's been around longer than the president and vice president so maybe they think it would be disrespectful to make her do something she doesn't want to do. I don't know. It's just really frustrating for most of the employees.

Direct Deposit is a convenience but I really don't like it either as I have had bad experiences with things not posting correctly or on time. I work in someone's home now, so it isn't even an option and yes there are some paydays I don't get to the bank on time, but I would rather have it in my hand.

My firm also offers direct deposit and I shun it.

As a bit of background, I'm more in sales and work on commissions. I'm an independent contractor (technically).

Part of the fine print in their agreement is similar to "if you have any kind of cancels or backcharges you are authorizing us to debit your account to recoup those charges"

On the surface, this is fair enough and in 23 years I've never had something like that but the upshot to me is, I will never (ever) willingly give someone the right to charge my account. If I have something I owe, I'll write them a check like I do everyone else. Heck, if I don't they can always hold my license hostage so it's not like they don't already have the advantage over me. 20 years ago, I ignorantly allowed an insurance company to debit my checking account like this. I didn't fully realize that this was their INTENDED method of billing/payment. What got me was I had no idea the day it hit and because of that, bounced some checks that should not have bounced.

I pissed & moaned to the insurance guy and he said "sorry...that is the only way we do it"

I said, well, then I'm sorry, because the only way I do it is to write a check....cancel my contract. I've never let anyone have access to my accounts since and have never bounced a check since.

I personally would LIKE the luxury of the auto deposit however, that single sentence in their agreement is enough to make me avoid it.