i have the same breed , his name is louie. and he is exactly the same way. i tried everything to stop him from doing this, but nothing worked. it would frustrate the heck out of me. its the sharpey in him. they are very sensitive to your emotions. i found him most calm when i was most calm. i started chiping some golf balls around my property and he would chase them and bring them back until he got tired and then he would just take off with the ball. i would chase him trying to get it back , and i never could. i was excited but in a fun way, he got excited in a playfull way. when i found a hole with about 30 of my best golf balls in it i left them there because he takes care of them. lol. i have 6 other dogs and they all have different attitudes, but they all get along because of my attitude and emotions. every once and awhile ill get upset and all of them mostly louie would get scared and take off in the other direction, and i would not even look upset but i felt upset and he felt it too. not sure this helps but i hope it does a little