Thread: Why is it still leaking?

Why is it still leaking?

OK so it sounded simple in the beginning. My toilet was running and I checked it the ball wasn't working so I just turned off the water for the night. I then woke up went to get a new pump and seal and such. I had it all put together and was bolting the tank to the base and I broke the porcelain base. Then went and bought a new toilet. I put it all together and remembered to put the washers between the bolts this time. Now my question is, is why is it still leaking between the 2? What can I be doing wrong?

Did you find a rubber gasket in the kit? You may have left it off. Check it and see. If you can't find one, you can do what 85% of my neighbors do and use duct tape (just kidding). Check for the rubber gasket?

Before you do anything else....

Before you go anywhere try an determine exactly where the leak is comming from. Be sure it's not the valve packing, because evertime you close one of those valves and reopen it it usaully leaks as it is always in the open position and the packing drys out and shrinks. You might also have a leak between the drain pipe and the toilet. Did you replace the the ring that sits in between? How about the seal between the fill valve and the tank? Is the the culprit? Did you install the seal upside down between the tank and the bowl?
    Try and track that leak down and then head to the store. Miight save a trip