Thread: Ponds

Ponds

Would you put in a man-made pond in your yard? We are thinking about doing this but I don't know how much of a pain it is to upkeep. Do you have to add chemicals?

I have a pond in my yard and love it. I have trees around the back side of it and have had to take out a couple that were sucking all the water out. I 'blue' my pond every year and stock it with fish so the kids and I can fish. I am allergic to them so we catch and release.

go over to pondboss.com and you'll get a lot of good info. Also, check out tractorbynet.com for a history of one guy building a pond. It is NOT a weekend chore and can be expensive if you have someone do it. Also, many areas here in Michigan are adding/updating pond ordinances (more government regulation) that dictate slope, setbacks, drainage, overflow, etc. Check with your local govt entity on regulations, if any.

I have a pond and love it but I have had a problem this last year. Nutria or something has dug a hole and caused the pond to drop extremely low. I am in the process of repairing it and appreciate the above post with the links.

This may seem paranoid, but I worry about liability. There are neighbors within walking distance of us who have kids. What if one of them wandered over and fell in? How does everyone address that concern?

I'd love to add one, and my husband has wanted to put one in for years.