Thread: Want To Have My Own Chickens

Want To Have My Own Chickens

I've wanted to get some chickens for a long time and since the egg recall a couple of weeks ago, I want to get them even more so. I'm concerned about getting them at this time of the year because winters can get pretty cold here. How do you care for them when it's cold? Would it be better to wait until Spring?

Back yard chickens

Quote Originally Posted by healthygal View Post
    I've wanted to get some chickens for a long time and since the egg recall a couple of weeks ago, I want to get them even more so. I'm concerned about getting them at this time of the year because winters can get pretty cold here. How do you care for them when it's cold? Would it be better to wait until Spring?
    No need to speculate, people have been raising chickens for hundreds of years. This website will answer every question you could ever have regarding chickens. You will be amazed at how many people use this site from all over the country.
    I have been considering raising chickens for months now, even designed a spiffy portable chicken coop using infromation dervived from this website and others.

Chicken Learning Center - Raise Chickens, Incubate Eggs, Hatch Chicks

My local Southern State farm supply has some Amish built chicken coops for just a few hens. They are low to the ground and easy to reach for humans too. I haven't raised chickens for years but I'm sure thinking about it.

I think you might want to wait till spring to get the chickens more for yourself then the chickens; that way you have the winter to plan and set up.