Thread: Being technical from the country

Being technical from the country

Maybe of my neighbors do not own computers and seem to think they are "bad". Still I think that computers come in very handy. The kids use it for school research and we all use it for entertainments. For those that live in the country, how do you make use of your computers?

Work. Jobs are hard to find all over, but when you live in the country and all the towns within a 30 square mile radius, what few towns there are, total 20,000 in population, sometimes you turn to telecommuting. I do freelance wholesale consulting work and a little e-bay on the side.

I use mine for work. I work for a company that has a website and also as a writer. I used to sell on ebay, but now it seems like I'm always working one or the other job.

No doubt one of the most useful and valuble tools I have. Other than specific progams or applications such as word, excell, autocad, etc., I think perhaps your question refers more to the internet, and I would say "I go there for answers". I get most of my answers from the internet.
    I would ask your neighbors if they have or have ever had an encyclopedia, or have you ever used the library, or read a newspaper. The internet is all of the above. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but as I recall so was the library. It is well worth the time it takes to learn. I'm sure most of our lives changed, probably for the better, after we started to use the internet.
    In the past many people used the term "bad" to describe radio, some music, television, books the list goes on and on. These things, like the internet, are what you make of them. I believe if you let things take over your life, and forget who you are and what is important to you, you may be better off without a computer and probably just as happy if not more so.

I use mine for work also. My company closed it's headquarters and moved all of us to home offices. I like it a lot better than I did in a real office. I also use mine to look up all kinds of stuff and sell online.

I use mine for work and to find out interesting things. Like someone else said it's a library at your fingertips. Anytime I think of something I would like to know more about I look it up!

It's such a great convenience for me to not have to leave the house - particularly when the snow is piled high - to get the information I need from the library, city hall, or where ever. I can send correspondence by email, pay bills, watch a movie, read an ebook etc. It's one of the marvels of our current age and once they get familiar with computers and the internet, they'll be hooked!

I agree, when the snow is high I am so glad I can still get things done. Getting to town can be a real challenge in bad weather. I also agree what the internet acts as our encyclopedia. I do have a set but they are put away in boxes labeled, "Just in case".

My family also thought computers were 'bad' until my mom got hooked on emailing and Facebook. She loves to be able to see the grand kids growing through pictures I have emailed her and that way she can print them out. I use my computer for everything!