Thread: Field Mice

Field Mice

The nights are starting to get cooler where I live and the field mice are coming in the house. I hate the little critters but I hate to snap trap them. Is there a better option besides a cat?

Not really. We caught 10 mice with traps and then they wised up. After that we could not catch them in traps. We even tried moving them and disguising them. Glue traps are gut wrenching and poison is really not that safe. You could get and owl, they eat mice right?

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    First you gotta try to find out where they're getting in, and seal up those holes. Put steel wool in the hole to fill up the entire surface of the hole, and then fill it with whatever material the rest of the wall is made of. Mice can't chew steel wool. Also, throw some moth balls into the hole before you seal it up. Rodents hate the smell of moth balls.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

They do have traps that just trap them then you can take them elsewhere and let them go. I found them at Walmart but you can probably do a search online for them as well.

Ok, so a few years ago I had mice in my laundry room. The cat food was right next to the dryer and the little buggers were coming in through a vent to eat the cat food at night. So, I shoved a few glue traps under the dryer and caught a few. Well, I can attest to the fact that mice are NOT stupid. I never would have believed this if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, so I'm sharing the picture with ya'll.

Attachment 2531

Yes, those little (insert curse word) put one of my cat's toy mice on the trap then proceeded to back up to it and poop, to solidify his point I'm assuming. To this day, I can still hear them chuckling to themselves as they ate their fill of cat food and got away.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you about how to get rid of them. I've been on my own personal mice rampage since the day this happened, lol.

Ha! That's a real hoot CarrieAnn! Yep, those sons-of-a-gun are really a lot smarter than what we give them credit for. We use the steel wool as well, but I hadn't heard about the moth balls RichZ; good tip. It makes since though. I don't like the moth ball smell myself so it figures they wouldn't either.

We found a trap that is very, very sensitive and it will trap the little buggers. They are clever little things aren't they? I wouldn't have thought they would have done something like that though. I hate the little things even though they are just trying to survive too. I just prefer they survive in their own environment rather than mine.