Thread: My daughter wants to play football

My daughter wants to play football

My daughter has started to play pop warner football as her brothers did, has anyone gone through this? I'm concerned about both her safety and the teasing she may receive and not just from the other kid; she has her brothers to protect her but sometimes they can be just as bad.

What is pop warner football? Is it different than regular football? I'm not sure I would want her playing football with boys. I, too, believe there are safety issues that need to be considered.

I played what was called "powder puff" football in high school. They were all girl teams and we had a blast! My dad was actually proud of me for playing like he did in high school. He didn't have any boys so I was defiantly a tomboy. Well I still am to.

Pop warner is like a pee wee league for elementary age children. I remember playing in Jr High school too but it was also against girls, it was flag and once a year and it was fun. Well she is bigger than most of the boys but skinny although I see she can handle it right now but I think it may need to change next year.

I was also unsure of what Pop Warner was thank you for the clarification. If it is what she wants to do then have her work out so that although she is skinny she is built and can handle the boys! My sister played flag and powder puff all the way through school and loved it.

Why not let her play and let her see if she likes it. Now is the time, I wouldn't let her play in high school so why not when she is younger. Is it flag or tackle? My daughter is 14 and now wants to play. I said NO WAY!

I don't see any harm in it. It would be an experience she either likes or doesn't. If she doesn't try, she may not realize she doesn't like it. And if she does, then let her. I am all for girls and boys having the same opportunities.

There is nothing wrong for a girl to play football as long as she plays on a girl team. But if I were you, I wouldn't feel comfortable to let her play with boys.

I see nothing wrong with a girl playing football. I had a girl on my team and she hit with the best of them. She was better than some of the other players! She kept us on our toes all the time.