Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Define "Country"

Now I'm jealous.

Just living in the south to me is "country". Up north is all city. I don't care if it is in the midwest, the people "up there" all have a different mentality than us southerners.

For us, we live in an small city where the home lots are close together and not even a 1/4 of an acre. We have city water and trash pick up. The nearest gas station is honestly around the corner. The grocery story is within 5 minutes. So, for us to move into the country, it would mean to have a plot of land, bigger than an acre, maybe a dirt road, a short drive into town. Sometimes there can be neighbors but not necessarily close (like I can hear the neighbors fighting now). Much more quiet, no sirens, etc.

We are 3hrs from the closest junk food or real supermarket... properties of on average 4000 acres all round...we are on the edge of "town" 80 people and on 38 acres...bordering onto one of those 4000acre properties...go just a few miles north and you are onto "station country" where single paddocks are 20,000-40,000 acres and the properties are measured in thousands of square miles.... Yeah, you could say we are country...

IMO, Country: Minimum lot size of 4-5 acres or more, septic systems, well water, dirt roads, low population densities, ability to shoot a gun on your OWN property without violating some law. I can stand in the middle of my property (55 acres, mixed woods and fields) and not see any property line.

Though, I'm 5 minutes from Interstate highway, gas, food stores, 10 minutes from a major hospital. When we were looking for property, I didn't want to be a 2 hour ride from civilization, but wanted that "country feel".

I think "country" is one of those things that you know it when you see it.

Country to me is an area where there are neighbors, but that aren't too close and where you have land that you can have animals on. It's not a gated community with all of it's rules. Instead it's a place where you are free to live basically like you want to and you can enjoy your family.