Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Define "Country"

Define "Country"

I replied to a thread about a person moving from the cit to the country but then realized that people from different backgrounds and locations might define "Country" differently.

What area of the USA/World do you live in and how do you define "Country"?
    Is it a gated community with a few acres per lot or a remote area with no civilizations for many miles?

What are the different things that define "country" to you?

Just wondering, thanks
    Don

When I think 'country', I think of an area that has no commercial buildings. An area where you would have to drive at least a few minutes to get to any type of store or business. Maybe my idea of 'country' would be more realistically classified as 'rural' (?).

To me, the country is living out in the woods. Something along the lines of living 5 miles from the nearest town. Population 3,000. Driving 2 miles to get your water from a creek head for cooking, cleaning, etc..... That's country. That's.... YouTube - Josh Thompson - Way Out Here (Acoustic) :]

When I say country I mean a plot of land on 40 acres on a dirt road. Town is 15 miles away and you can not hear your neighbors talking! Even 5 acres and remote setting would do.

I think technically country is when you live in an area that is sparsely populated, has a mixture of fields and woods and is away from the city. The type of country that is real country is what Xavier and Doug described.

It is true - it all depends on where you are from. For instance, moving from Atlanta to Locust Grove, Georgia, is not a big culture shock, but moving from Chicago to Locust Grove, Georgia, is. Take it from me - I know firsthand!

I am in Georgia too Spanky but I have been here all my life. To me I guess country is not being able to see your neighbors but seeing land or woods instead.

When I think country, the first thing that comes to mind is fields, trees, and tractors. Any setting like this is country to me. I do agree with all above statements and it's where you have room to spread out and not feel 'on top' your neighbor.

For me the country I live in is 5.5 acres a tractor, trees etc. Where I would LIKE to live is on that 40 acres or more way out in the boonies with the closest neighbor about a mile away. No stores, commercial buildings for miles and nothing but farmland and woods.

If I could only convince the Wife that it would be better for her!

We moved from a So Cal 7000sqft lot to 240 acres in Missouri. Talk about heaven, we found it! We have worked harder since we retired than before, but we enjoy it. Twenty miles to town, either way you go, ten miles to the nearest "store". My wife and I really enjoy living here.