Thread: Looking for barn board

Looking for barn board

I love making wood crafts with barn board. It just has the weathered look when you use it. It's hard to find it these days though. So many barns are not being built with the old boards. Have you seen any lately? Where do you think I should look?

To bad you are so far away. I have an old barn that I would sell fairly cheap. It is in South Central Missouri.

Sometimes you can find barns in the country that are falling down. Many of the owners will let you have the boards in exchange for removing the barn. If you find a barn like that, there's a chance the farmer would let you have a few boards off it free or cheap.

I would love to know what kind of crafts you are making with barn wood. Are you talking sheds or smaller projects? Is this a good wood to carve?

Nope not carving, I make wood crafts, like flags for the house or signs with sayings on them. The old barn board just makes them look weathered. We once helped take down 1 old barn and they gave us the wood. A lot of it was junk, but a lot was great. That was about 5 years ago so it's gone now.

That sounds like a very interesting hobby! I would imagine you could make a lot of money at flea markets or state fairs. It is certainly very different from what you would normally find there.

I don't make crafts to make money, it's just a hobby. I think if I had to do it for money it would not be near as fun. I make wood crafts for gifts and for myself. I have seen some wood crafts at the craft shows I go to and they are very nice. I hear people complain about the prices of them... they just don't know how much work goes into making a craft!