Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog- what breed

New dog- what breed

We want to get a puppy and we are debating what breed to get. I don't even want a pure bred dog. We have a lot of land so the pup will have plenty of room to roam. I don't want a dog that barks a lot.
    Any tips!

Is this going to be an indoor dog, or an outdoor only dog? Do you have small children? Do you want a "watch dog" or just a pet?

If you don't want a dog that barks a lot, don't get a Terrier. Mine are high-strung and bark way too much. If you want a house dog, I recommend a Schnauzer. I had one. He was very loyal, sweet, good-natured, and didn't bark much.

My advice is to go to the animal shelter nearest you. Especially in these times there is an over abundance of dogs that people have had to give up. I am sure you will find the perfect one there for you.

I would go to the shelter too. My favorite dogs are beagles. They are just fun dogs. I would think they are going to let their dog go outside, as they said they have a lot of land.
    You could save a dog at the shelter and the workers should know a bit about the dogs too.

I'm a shelter advocate too, if your area shelter is like mine they have area's where you can interact with them so go when you have time to spend and see how they interact with you, your children, other people, other dogs, etc. Although puppies go fast you can possibly get a dog already trained at least in the basics.

How wonderful! A shelter is a good place to start and depending on what you are looking for can help determine which breed would be the best fit for your new family member. I personally have always had Boston Terriers. They are very sweet, loving and loyal. Not to mention great watchdogs. They are active so lots of room to roam would be a great fit. Sometimes an older dog to adopt may also be a suggestion. As many are already paper trained or house broken and are looking for new loving families.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Is this going to be an indoor dog, or an outdoor only dog? Do you have small children? Do you want a "watch dog" or just a pet?
    Depends on where you live as well...I mean geograpihcally in regards to climate.
    You really can't go to far wrong with a Labrador, but if you live in the deep south I would recomend a smaller dog with short hair... maybe a Jack Russell if you as much room as you say.

I agree with the others that recommend shelters. There are so many animals out there that need good homes, I have no doubt that one of them will be happy with you guys! It's also great that you have a lot of land. Any dog that you decide on will love the room to run.

You really can't go wrong with a Labrador Retriever or a Lab mix. They are good natured creatures that love to be outside. They are good watch dogs, but they don't overdo it with the barking.