Thread: Tractor On Slope

Tractor On Slope

How safe is it to use a small tractor on a slope? The slope is abuot 30 to 45 degrees, I'd guess. To be honest, using a tractor on a slope scares me, but I know it's done. We had someone brush hog the hill for us and my neighbors use tractors on their hills, too. Are my fears justified or am I just being silly?

It's safe if you know how to do it. I would sit on the side of the seat and kind of put your weight on the uphill side of the slant. We use our tractors on our hilly slopes all the time. Of course if you don't feel comfortable then you should start slow.

Cool

I do the sitting on high side too. I usually turn down slope when my "internal" alarm goes off. Most reccomend backing up steep slopes, I do this too. Good luck. Have fun and stay safe

Be very careful when doing that - I actually know of someone whose tractor overturned on them, and it was fatal! Know what you are doing before you start!

I have a compact tractor with a loader so it is a bit safer on slopes. I am real respectful of the tractor on slopes as I have had some close calls. I just will not take any chances any more. When it gets uncomfortable on the tractor, I will use the DR mower/bushog, or a hand held gas brush cutter. Tractor rollovers can be fatal.

Belleville, IL (Moving to property in MO in a few years)
    Best way is to travel up/down the slope instead of across it. Too many people die each year from rollovers....
    Cynical Realist

how small is your tractor? People generally do it but if it's your first time probably get an experienced person or do it up and down the slope like tech141 suggested.