Thread: Auction Sales

Auction Sales

I've never been to an auction, but I'd like to go. I like it that you can look in the newspaper to find out what they're selling, and I know you can buy things super cheap sometimes. Does anyone go to auctions?

I have never been to an auction. It would probably be fun but not having the knowledge of how they work as well as all the humorous sketches on tv where someone has inadvertently bought something just because their nose twitched, always made me wary of them.

You need to go early to the auction so that you can look at the stuff for sale and see if you really want it. There is lots of pure junk.

Auctioneers also tend to keep the good stuff until last so that you have to sit thru the selling of the more undesirable stuff so you may be there several hours. Some places will put things up early if enough people ask.

They are not necessarily the place to buy things cheap. I have many times watched people pay more at an auction than they would have paid in the store.

Many places require cash and do not take checks.

They also tend to sell things in lots. This forces you buy a whole box of stuff just to get the one item that you may want.

They can be fun to go to. I have aneighbor who goes every week just for the fun of it.

I go to auctions now and then to buy tools and machinery. jmbrown covered what you should do very well. You should also set a price that you're willing to pay for something. In the heat of bidding, if you don't, you could go way over what the item is worth to you.

I have never been, but wanted to go, just to check it out. I am just afraid that it is not a place for a newbie - there are a lot of cutthroat people out there who do it for a living.

I've been to many of them. Car auctions, house auctions and just everything auctions. They are fun, some things you can get cheap and some things you can't. I like to go to the antique auctions just to see how much things go for.

I went to an estate auction many years ago. The gentleman had been a plumber and accumulated a lot of parts, both new and used. At the time I was doing a lot of toilet and faucet repairs. A box of assorted repair parts came up and I got it for just a few bucks. I got my money back on the next faucet repair I did and made a lot more using some of the other parts.

I go to them all the time and, yes, you can get really good deals there. But always make sure of the quality of the items you are buying. They have some great deals, but there is also a lot of junk being sold at auctions.