Thread: Time to cut again

Time to cut again

It's a big family event! We all go to the woods and we cut wood together. Anyone else cut wood to heat their house? Who goes and helps? We even get the little ones to help.

Now that sounds like a lot of fun! I used to help my folks cut wood when I was a kid. Most times we just get it delivered to us now. We don't have any woods to log or cut in. I bet the little ones will remember these fun times for years to come.

We now live in the city and get our wood delivered, but when we live in the country, we would get log loads and cut and split the wood. My brother and I normally did a lot of the splitting.
    I was to young to use a chainsaw.
    I have relatives in Tennessee who would be considered by most as amish, but the last time I was down there, we had a wood cutting for two of the families in the community. Everyone in the community helps who can (even the young and girls). That was fun. Some in the community have chainsaws and this was a chainsaw woodcutting. I was splitting wood all day.
    By the end of the day we had filled the two wood sheds

We live very close to national forest land. We get a cutting permit each year. We combine woodcutting with camping and fishing trips to try to make it as cost effective and efficient as we can.

This is the way we heated our home growing up. I was always outside with my dad and sisters during the winter to cut wood. After we all moved out and away my dad now has it delivered and also put in central air and heat. He still would prefer the wood though.