Thread: Painting versus siding

Painting versus siding

If you were going to re-do the outside of your house what would you do? My parents are in the process of re-doing the outside of their house. I said siding is easier to maintain and they think that wood and painting would be.

It depends on what their preference is. My grandfather has siding and wood trim. Every 2 years he has me paint both. I think siding is easier and less maintenance long as you don't decide to paint it. He is strange, but I get paid very well to do it so I am not complaining!

I would say that siding is less susceptible to the elements than wood is. Wood erodes and wears down where vinyl does not. It only needs to be power washed every once in awhile.

I agree with you and downhome that siding is easier to maintain. But if they prefer the look and feel of wood and paint in their house, you have to respect their choice.

We bought our current home 5 years ago. It was built in 1991. It's brick veneer but has a 21' x 25' shop building with brick veneer front and T-111 siding on the sides and back. The 2' eaves, fascia, trim around exterior doors, including the garage, and the ceiling over the patio were all wood. I've always painted homes we owned in the past and I don't like the job, so I've had vinyl siding installed to cover every bit of the exterior wood. If you can afford it, I think it sure beats painting and stays looking good longer, in addition to increasing the value of the home.

I am getting sick of having to repaint the house over and over again. It takes up too much time and money. While I like the way paint looks I much prefer siding because it is easy to take care of.

I think siding is easier to maintain but painting is cheaper. That could be the reason they are going with painting? I would go with siding, heck they even have some siding out there now that looks like painted wood.

Something else to consider about siding is the warranty. It's more peace of mind should something happen. I used to work for a home improvement company that had a no questions asked warranty policy for their siding. You can't find that with wood and paint, that I know of.