Thread: Another chicken question.

Another chicken question.

We've been thinking of chickens too, and I've got a question.
    To get eggs, do you need to have a rooster too? Or are they there just to protect the chickens.

You do not need a rooster to get eggs. If you want to raise chickens, you do need a rooster.
    A suggestion. Visit your local library get and read a couple of books about chickens. It will save you a lot of time, effort and frustration.
    Good luck.
    AbO 2012

You need a rooster if you want eggs that will hatch into chickens. But if you want eggs for home use of for sale, you don't need a rooster.Chickens will lay eggs with or without a rooster.

We used to keep chickens and nothing tastes so good as a freshly laid egg. The rooster is only there to fertilise the egg so it will hatch into a chick, but chickens lay unfertilised eggs (only one per day and sometimes not every day) without a rooster and they are perfectly fine to eat.

How interesting. I thought you had to have a rooster to even get the chickens to lay eggs. I wonder if you live in the city limits if your allowed to have chickens? That would be a great way to save money. Who would I call to find this out?

Like every female, a chicken produces an egg in cycles, and lay them as they mature. If you are living within city limits, they may not allow you to raise chickens because you'd have problem disposing of the manure.

Yes, it's unfortunate but there are a lot of rules around keeping livestock of any kind. Also, as we found, they take up a lot of your time and you cannot ever have a day off. They need to be looked after constantly.