Thread: Sewing

Sewing

My nine year has expressed an interest in getting a sewing machine but I don't have a clue how to sew. I think she is a bit too young to do it yet. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to teach her or do you think she is too young?

She is not too young. There are smaller kid-friendly machines that are great for that age. I even think Wal-Mart might offer a class for young kids. You 2 could take a class together, it would be neat to learn together. My mom is a seamstress by trade so I learned young.

I agree with Phena30. If she has a desire to try, let her have a go at it. It may turn out that she is particularly gifted at sewing. If not, it still could be a valuable skill for her to know later on.

A nine year old could definitely learn to sew. I think that's about the age my mom started teaching me. Craft stores hold classes and I think some community colleges may also hold evening classes.

I took my first sewing class offered through my school when I was about 8 or 9. It's definitely a handy skill to have. I've saved more of my husband's shirts than I can count thanks to that basic class.