Thread: Country Neighbor

Country Neighbor

One of the things I like about the country is that neighbors aren't right up next to you like they are in the city, but that makes it harder to get to know them. How do you get to know your neighbors, or do you prefer not to?

I like getting to know them but not over doing it. Every now and again I might bake an extra pie to take over and have some coffee too. Neighbors can be helpful but I do not like getting to close.

I am perfectly fine with not getting to know my neighbors but I was that way even when we lived in a neighborhood. I guess I am just not the neighborly type!

If I could, I would avoid neighbors all together. But that isn't practical. Country living sometimes requires neighbors to help each other and that means we have to at least be acquaintances with them. I don't mind helping them or asking them to help me once in a while - I just wish I could avoid them at all times in between.

neighbors

Just like anywhere else. Knock on their door and introduce yourselves. That's IF you want to get to know them. Many people prefer to be left alone, regardless of whether they live in the country or city. I currently live in a subdivision where I haven't spoken to a couple of my neighbors in almost 20 years, for a reason. On our "country" property where we plan to build a home and retire, I've actually moved the house site further from the neighbors based on experience, if you get my drift. In any case, I always give people the benefit of the doubt and don't prejudge. If I find them to be "un-neighborly" or whatever, I just put them on "ignore" and get on with my life. I can understand what CarrieAnn is saying, though. If YOU'RE the "un-neighborly" type and ignore their wave of the hand in the morning, don't expect to get much help if you've got a flat tire or need a lift somewhere.

I like to get to know my neighbors so we can help each other when we really need help, with the emphasis on "really need." Otherwise, I'm somewhat of a recluse and like to be left alone.

I think most people who live in the country prefer to be left alone most of the time. Personally, I have some neighbors who drive me up a wall. They act like they belong in one of those closely knit communities where you don't even need to own a push mower. They've been very helpful to me in the past and we have helped them out as well, but they are constantly just coming over whenever they feel like hanging out. When I am home, I just want to be left alone.

Regardless of how much time you spend with your neighbors, I think it is important to get to know them. I often back cookies or other goodies and take them over to different ones. I try to be available if they need help. In other words, I try to be the type of neighbor I would like them to be to me.