Thread: Doughnuts homemade

Doughnuts homemade

How do you make homemade doughnuts? I would love to make some this weekend with my kids. I want to make doughnut holes and sprinkle them with Cinnamon sugar. Is it easy or hard?

When I was a kid, my mother used to make donuts occasionally; yeast rising donuts that compare to the ones you now buy. But I don't have a recipe and we never figured it was worth the trouble when you consider the price and convenience of buying donuts. I do remember that it was an all day job for mother. However, one thing we used to do with our kids that they liked was to take canned biscuits, cut the hole in the middle, fry them in vegetable oil, then sprinkle with sugar and cinammon. They're actually very good while still warm, not bad, but not nearly as good after they get cold.

That's funny, Bird, because when I first saw this thread I was thinking about the biscuit trick. I saw Paula Deen do it a while back and I thought it was a pretty nifty, easy way to make something like a donut.

Hey I can help you with that because I just got a great recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine! It says to mix 3.5 cups flour, 1 TBSP baking powder, 1 TSP cinnamon, 3/4 TSP salt, and 1/2 TSP nutmeg in bowl and set aside. Then in another bowl mix 1/3 cup milk and 1/2 cup melted butter. In separate bowl mix 4 large eggs and 2/3 cup sugar with electric mixer until thick (like 5 minutes). Then add milk mixture to it mixing with a wooden spoon. Add flour mixture and stir until smooth. then cover dough and chill for 2 hours. It will be sticky.

Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness on floured surface. Cut with a floured 2.5 inch round cutter and then use a 1.25 inch cutter to cut out the middle. Fry 2 or 3 donuts at a time in deep hot fat for 2-3 minutes or until brown. Drain on paper towels and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix.

For quick, no fuss doughnuts, I use the biscuit trick that Tabitha mentioned. All you have to do is heat up the grease, drop the biscuits that you get in the 10-biscuit packs into it, turn them over once, and take them out when done. If you like, you can form them into doughnuts with holes before dropping them in the grease. Dip them in sugar, powdered sugar, or other "topping" while still warm. While not as good as recipes like the one above, they are good...and quick!