Thread: Boarding schools

Boarding schools

Does anyone here send their kids to boarding school? Or have you ever considered it? What do you think the benefits of a boarding school are?

I don't know anyone who has ever sent their kids to boarding school. It's probably much too expensive for the average family. I'm not sure I can think of any benefits to them.

Those that I've heard of that have gone were mostly those that have had a legacy of family that have gone and it wasn't so far that it was out of state. The only real benefit is the strength of the teaching at the school and the possible prestige of it.

I went to an all boys Episcopalian boarding school back in the 1960's Things change- but avoid a non-coed school - too unnatural and hinders social skills. My family went on academic scholarships. That is the only way those without money can afford it. They like a mix of kids to expose the wealthy kids to, that they wouldn't otherwise mix with. Look for a mix of: 95+% college placement, large sports program, large arts/extra-curricular program. Look for signs of drugs! Look for a substantial work ethic. Stick with established mainestream schools. Stay away from the fly-by-night schools, the tough love schools, the military academies. Those are the schools where the crazies have sway and the likelihood of abuse is substantial. If you wish you could attend the school, then maybe your kids will love it. Fencing, sailing, tennis, skiing need to be in place for those kids who don't want to be jocks.
    Good luck!

I boarded at a top notch high school in California in the 60's. It was an exceptional experience I would recommend, particularly if the alternative was a less than excellent local school in the boonies.
    Steward of the Forest

I taught at a school in Alaska that was a combination of a local community school and a boarding school for students from mostly small, rural villages. They came for many reasons: better education, experience with a more diverse student body, athletics, chance for a fresh start. At the school, some thrived, some survived, some languished, some were kicked out. The experience was probably hardest for those who were really close to their families and had rarely or never been away from them. Homesickness probably caused more attrition than anything else (you could actually see some of them just pining away). Rules violations were probably the second biggest cause of attrition, with poor study/work habits and the resultant frustrations that built up with bad grades being third. However, a number of the kids thrived because of the structure of the boarding school and the relationships they formed with other students, school personnel, and community members. Many of them still stay in touch through Facebook and often express deep appreciation for their experiences while living at the boarding school. There are three public boarding schools I know of in AK (Sitka, Galena, and Nenana). Since they are public schools there is much less out-of-pocket expense for students to attend them. I don't think we ever had any out-of-state kids apply for the one I worked for, but it might be interesting to check that out. While not every student is well-adapted to handle the boarding school environment, wouldn't it be a great opportunity for a kid from, say, Alabama or New Jersey to get to spend a year or two in a place like Alaska? I'm not sure my own kids could have handled that kind of separation, but for those with a proper mindset and a supportive family, particularly if they are self-motivated, it could be a truly wonderful opportunity; almost like being a foreign-exchange student without the language barrier.